Whether you are a fashionista or you avoid the malls you still spend a lot of money on clothes. Since longer lasting clothes mean more money in your pocket be sure you do all you can to preserve your wardrobe.
TIPS ON MAKING CLOTHES LAST;
- Start with quality – those quality investment pieces last longer thanks to the thicker fabric and better construction. By spending more on quality pieces that never goes out of style you create a solid based wardrobe with longevity in mind. Its also a case of quantity vs quality. For kids you want to invest more in quantity as the outgrow their clothing fairly quickly. But when investing for a workwear or a pair of jacket/jean you wear daily, its best you invest in a good high quality one than investing in 5 poorly made pieces that may be replaced within a month.
- Pay attention to laundering – the tag found on the neck or down the side seam of your garment is not for decoration, it gives you a garment’s laundry instructions, which are designed to help you keep them in shape. Looking at the laundry instructions should be part of your shopping process if you don’t like hand wash. When laundering your clothes do the following; A. Wash dark clothes inside out B. Invest in a clothesline or dying rack C. Wash clothes with metal/beads/embellishment separately and not with delicate clothes. D. Wash your clothes less, practice good hygiene, this can help you keep your clothes from washing longer. E. Iron with care.
- Practice good storage habit – fold heavy sweaters on a shelf, button buttons and zip zippers. Invest in a better hanger – consider buying hangers with wood or plush arms as wire or plastic ones can stretch out the shoulders of your garment that means the wont lay well on your body.
- Avoid frequent washing of your wool garments as this would shorten the life of the fabric – wool is a very delicate fabric so treat with care.
- Hand wash silk fabric using a gentle soap. Never iron silk clothing, hang them to dry.