HOW TO DRESS FOR YOUR BODY TYPE (MEN’S FASHION IN RELATION TO BODY SHAPE)
There’s nothing the fashion world loves more than saying; this is in, this is out, this is cool, this is hideous, this will make you look like a style superstar, this will make you look like a style disaster.
The truth is we are not all built the same. Ever seen a picture of an amazing outfit, then try to replicate it? Put each piece together, try it on then look in the mirror and you go….this looks nothing like the picture…lol
Chances are, you don’t have the same body type as the guy in the photo. Not to worry, you can still look hot, this post will tell you how to dress for your body type and how to emphasize the best aspects of your build and divert attention away from your undesirable features. Creating balance and shape with your clothes is key.
Keep the following in mind as we go forward:
- Your body type and shape should always take preference over fashion trends.
- Know your tailor (yes know us) on a first name basis you should trust them like your best friend
- Dress for the body you have now. Don’t put off wardrobe improvements for that 2 years diet plan you have been working on.
- Most importantly, never overlook the wonders a well-tailored clothing can do for guys of any size or shape (our job, wink)
KNOW YOUR BODY TYPE
Learning how to dress for your body shape isn’t as tricky as you’d first think. By following these steps you will know which clothes flatter you in no time.
First let’s look at the different types of body types, most guys fall into one of the 5 categories:
1. Rhomboid/Trapezoid Body:
photo credit – The style system
It’s usually characterized by broad shoulders and chest with relatively narrow hips and waist. Since the upper body and lower body are balanced, it’s easy to dress. Generally most styles and fits suits this shape. The athlete is a perfect picture of this body type.
How To Dress This body type:
- Show your athletic body shape in slim and fitted clothes
- Avoid baggy clothes
- Most colours and patterns works just fine with your build
- Your shirts should be Slim Fit or should have darts . Trousers should be tailored without been too slim.
2. The Inverted Triangle Body Shape:
This body shape is also known as the heavy lifter. His chest and shoulders are broad and narrower hips and waist with wider upper torso, it’s important to take note of the frame imbalance. The goal when you shop is to get outfits that will draw attention to your lower body and reduce attention to your upper chest.
How to dress this body type:
- Your goal should be to show your toned and fit body
- Put the focus on the right places
- V-necks narrows the chest and draws the eyes down
- Stripes around the stomach and detailing around the hip (wear belts or pockets) it will help emphasis the parts that needs it.
- Stay away from skinny trousers it will make the top half of your body appear even wider. Try straight or a more relaxed slim cuts.
3. The Rectangle Body:
Also known as the Block man. He has little difference with the width of his chest/shoulders. Dress/style for this body type should focus on widen the shoulders while narrowing the lower torso to create the illusion of a more rhomboid body type.
How to dress this body:
You will need to create an illusion of structure. Therefore you have to use clothes to widen the shoulders.
- The sleeves of your shirts, jackets or kaftans should be slim and the waist tummy area tapered.
- Wear more circular necklines to draw more attention to the upper torso
- Don’t wear prints that have shapes like your body type, don’t wear double breasted jackets.
- Wear colours that pop and are flattering.
4. The Triangle Shape:Has shoulders and chest that are narrower than the hips/waist, making you appear larger on the lower half of your torso. This shape is also known as the ‘cuddly teddy bear’. The majority of your body mass is concentrated at the centre of your body, making your arms, shoulders and legs look disproportionately slim.
How to dress this body shape :
- Beware of anything that shortens you in anyway
- Stripes are your friends. Vertical and pinstripes will instantly lengthen your body. But horizontal stripes will make you appear rounder.
- Don’t draw attention to your waist, no statement belts.
- A printed or textured piece in a darker hue is a better way to add flattering interest to an outfit.
- Length and fit are very important be sure that your sleeves and trousers are the correct perfect length and fits well.
- It’s all about balance and drawing attention away from the belly region
- Avoid skinny and narrow/extremely tapered trousers, wear straight or wide legs that adds proportion to your silhouette.
5. Oval body shape:
Also known as the ‘happy eater’. The type of body we find around Nigeria commonly associated with living good or a sign of your wealth (lol). This shape appears round, particularly in the stomach area. Don’t put the focus on your stomach, so you should wear clothes that enhance and emphasis your shoulders and wear flattering colours. Its important to focus lengthening the torso and widening the shoulders in order to make the rest of the body look more defined.
How to dress this body type:
- Keep it simple, with dark, solid colours
- Your trouser waist should always be comfortably loose, never belted so tight that it pinches and wrinkles.
- It’s best to wear tailored/made to measure shirts.
- Steer clear of polo necks and narrow crew necks because they decrease shoulder width and opt for structured tailored outfit with round neck.
- Single-breasted and button down styles will also help streamline your torso.
- Don’t put attention around the stomach area, like outfits with details, pockets in the front or horizontal stripes.
- Wear trousers with straight legs.